What should you do if your roof leaks when it rains? To repair a leaky roof is actually not too difficult if you were know-how. Facing the arrival of the rainy season, one of the most important things is to ensure that there are no leaks on your roof.
The roof is one of the most important parts of a residential building. For that, when there is a leak or damage to the roof of your home, of course, your comfort and that of your family becomes disturbed. If you need the best roofer for repairing your roof, you can hire the Roofing Rome GA.
For this reason, we are here to try to help you a little to deal with the roof of a leak, so that when your family complains of a leaky roof, you can be relied upon.
Before we step on the part of how to repair a leaky roof, we should know first how to take care of our roof. Treatment is better than a repair, right? For maintenance of the roof of the house, then we should check at least once every 3 months.
What should we do in the routine checking of the roof of this house?
Routine roofing and maintenance checks include:
- Clean the roof from dirt and sand sediments that can trigger cracks in the roof. Clean the gutter from rubbish and other impurities, so that the flow of water when it rains is not clogged.
- Check the tile position. If there is a tile that goes down or shifts, then as soon as you correct it back to its original position.
- Make sure that the slope of your tile roof is suitable. Ceramic tile requires an angle of about 30 degrees, while asbestos needs about 15 degrees. If you do not pay attention to this, rainwater and wind, it can just enter through the gap in the tile. Tile that has cracked, should be replaced immediately.
- Also check the construction, whether the conditions are still secure and have not changed.
If you can’t do it yourself, you can pay someone to do it.
Easy Ways to Repair a Leaking Roof
- The first step to dealing with a leaky roof is to find a source of leakage. This is a job that is not as easy as one might imagine. Sometimes the place where water drops fall on the floor does not necessarily indicate where the source of the leak is. The saying does not apply “where water droplets are located, on top of which there is a source of leakage”. Sometimes water that enters through cracked or shifted tile slits does not directly fall to the floor but flows first along the ceiling or battens looking for opportunities, where there are holes to drip onto the floor. So, it could be that the source of the leak is 2 meters from where the water droplets hit the floor, so BEWARE!
- Look for sources of leakage during the day. Go up to the attic of your house with lighting. Be careful of exposed cable connections. It’s a good idea to turn off the electricity in your house by turning off the fuse as long as you fix your leaky roof. Trace traces of running water until you find the source of the leak.
- Fixing leaks on concrete roofs, asbestos, or shingles due to hair cracks, can be done by giving wire mesh and waterproof. But the larger cracked part must be perforated and then plastered again.
- Overcoming leakage in the concrete chin can also be done by plastering/coating the part that we suspect is a source of leakage with cement. How:
- We go up on the chin, put a hole as deep as about 2 cm in the cracked concrete source of leakage.
- Clean and moisturize the area, then apply concrete glue along the surface.
- After half dry, fill the cracked gap with a new cement mixture.
- If the source of the leak is a shifting tile, then place it back as it should. If because there is a broken tile, then replace it with a new tile.
- Do not forget to repair the ceiling that is damaged due to leaky water. Do not let the ceiling moist, because it can cause more fatal damage, such as the ceiling collapse.
- To reduce heat absorption and reduce damage due to rainwater, aluminum foil with a size of 1-2 mm can be used as a coating between the ceiling and tile.
With proper and routine maintenance, of course, you no longer need to worry about leaking roof problems. When a leak occurs, then immediately overcome, before your ceiling becomes moist and collapses.
That’s how to repair a leaky roof, hopefully, this article helps and you don’t need to worry about the coming rainy season.