The paving block is a building material that is commonly used as a raw material for making ground pavement layers. This paving block is in the form of a block that has a certain size. The installation method is done by arranging the paving blocks according to the desired pattern. Paving blocks are widely chosen because they are easy to install, the price is quite cheap, and they have good water absorption. Usually paving blocks are installed in the front of the garden, yard, or road in the alley. The use of paving blocks will also make the soil more protected.
The raw materials for making paving blocks consist of sand which has a good hardness level and portland cement as a binding material. Some manufacturers also often add fly ash, gravel, and admixture into the composition of the paving block mixture to produce materials with different specifications. The quality of the raw materials used will directly affect the quality of the paving blocks. Like a wise with the manufacturing technique, where paving blocks made with the right method will have good quality.
For specifications, non-metallic building materials state that the aggregates used in the manufacture of concrete (including paving blocks) must meet the following requirements:
- The details are hard and sharp
- Remain against the influence of extreme weather
- Has no mud content
- The fine modulus of the grain according to the gradation determination
- Fine aggregates must not be reactive to the specific alkalis of highly durable concrete
- The use of fine aggregates from the chain must be approved by a recognized inspection body
3 methods can be used to make paving blocks, namely conventional techniques, semi-mechanical techniques, and mechanical techniques. In the manufacture of paving blocks with conventional techniques, all the work is still done manually. Unlike the case with semi-mechanical techniques and mechanical techniques that allow paving block printing to be done using a mixer and press machine. The method chosen in the manufacture of paving blocks will directly affect the quality and quality of the results.
In principle, the process of making a paving block or driveway block paving manually is done by inserting the raw paving block mixture into a special mold. This mixture must be filled, densely, and evenly into the mold to produce good quality paving blocks. Then the mixture is compacted again using a hammer-shaped shield. The next process is removing the raw paving blocks, then drying them in the sun until they are completely dry. It is recommended to dry the paving block in a shady place so that it can dry completely.
You might be interested in making your paving blocks? If you are interested, please try the guide below. The result is pretty good if you manage to make this paving block. Besides you can use it for personal needs, you can also sell it to other people who need paving blocks. Surely your new skills will open up a job that will generate abundant money. The key is that you have to be smart in calculating the capital and income you get.
Tools and materials:
- Molds (rectangles, hexagons, worms, and so on)
- High-quality sand that has been sifted and washed
- Portland cement
- Rock ash
How to make:
- Make the first mix as a raw material for making paving blocks first. The trick is, you can mix cement and sand using a ratio of 1:3, 1:4, 1:5, or 1:6. It must note that the composition of the constituent materials used will affect the compressive strength of the resulting paving blocks.
- Add enough water to the first concrete mix. Make sure the mix is not too wet. Then you need to check the appropriateness of the mixture by holding it with your hands. Then feel whether the mixture is strong enough or not. If it’s still weak, add more water.
- Make another second mixture in a separate container by mixing sand and cement to taste. Then sprinkle a little water so that the cement can bind to the sand. Stir this mixture until it is completely evenly distributed and the condition is slightly wet. The second mixture serves to wrap the first mixture so it doesn’t stick to the mold.
- Put the second mixture into the paving block mold in such a way. After that, you can spread the first mixture just above the second mixture that is already in the mold. If you want, you can add mixed ingredients in the middle of the layer between the first and second mortar to produce paving blocks with special characteristics.
- Do not forget to first adjust the position of each part of the paving block mold. Make sure that all the parts are in order and installed correctly. Use a stick to compact the paving block mixture into the mold by hitting it repeatedly until the desired density is obtained.
- If the processing paving block is solid, then the next process you must do is removing mold, and, place it in the drying area. It is better if this raw paving block is placed in a shady place and has a flat surface.
- Testing the quality of the paving blocks that you have successfully made can be done by changing the position of the paving blocks that have just been printed into standing and sleeping several times within a certain period. Paving blocks of good quality are characterized by their constant shape, unchanged, and undamaged.